Friday, November 5, 2010

Reflections & Thankfulness

Since I actually have a spare minute to reflect, I'm going to.

I recently purchased an application for my iPhone called "Live Happy." The main purpose of the application is to help you become a happier person. One of the ways it suggested that I boost my happiness is to write and reflect on things I am thankful for. As I was showering, I began to think of just how thankful I am to have married the most amazing man of my dreams, Jeff. Even after 5 1/2 years of marriage, we are just as in love as the day we tied the knot, and every day we seem to fall even more into love and appreciation for each other. Don't get me wrong, there have been bumps along the way, but in the end I am thankful for those bumps because they have only brought us closer together.

I knew going into marriage at age 19 that the odds were against us. The divorce rate is extremely high, and even higher yet in young marriages. I especially knew it after hearing it and also reading things like this: "the divorce rate for couples under twenty is incredibly high ... rates are lowest for men and women who marry for the first time at age 28 or later." Now this post is not supposed to be about marriage and divorce, because each situation is unique. The point of this post is to reflect on my thankfulness for Jeff.

It was 4:55a.m. when the alarm clock starting going off this morning. Jeff jumps out of bed, gets dressed, walks out of our room and closes the door. Shortly after, I hear the clanging of dishes in the kitchen. I knew what this meant. Jeff was doing the dishes and cleaning the kitchen before going to work! I dozed off to sleep, and about an hour and a half later, I heard Autumn wake up in the other room. I waited a couple minutes before rolling out of bed, and then I hear Jeff go into the kids' room to get Autumn and take care of her. I doze off another half an hour or more and when my alarm starts going off at 7:30, I get up because it's time to get Ethan ready for preschool. He was already awake! Jeff was cleaning the kitchen, taking care of both kids, AND making me breakfast while I slept in! Oh, how thankful I was to see the kitchen coming together as it had been an embarrassing disaster for 3 days straight!

Life is busy these days, Jeff's been trying to meet deadlines for the work on our new house plus working his regular hours, when he comes home all hours of the night, he is exhausted! Plus he has been filling in drumming at church, meaning his "free time" is getting filled with practicing and writing the beats to the songs. Not only that, but his car completely broke down this week and we spent an entire evening jumping and towing it and the next evening searching for a new work vehicle. We found one at 9p.m. Tuesday night at drove it home at 10p.m.! Totally an answer to prayer!!
And, I guess I'm a little exhausted myself...trying to play catch up from an extremely busy wedding season over the summer, taking care of the kids, working outside the home once in a while, running Ethan to preschool, getting in "packing mode" since we are moving in 3 weeks, and the nausea and exhaustion from being pregnant, amongst household chores! I know this is just a "season" and it will change soon. I call it "survival mode."

All this to say, it's good to take a moment to reflect on what's going on in life and to remember all the things we are thankful for. The wonderful thing is that this morning was not at all out of Jeff's character. It wasn't my birthday, anniversary, Valentine's Day, or any other holiday for that matter, it was just another day. And he does wonderful things like this often. To that I am very grateful.

2 comments:

Randine said...

that is so fantastic, nicole!! i love the sound of husbands serving :)

Moriah said...

this is the kind of husband everyone deserves! so glad you have what God wants for you. It's so nice to have a serving and loving husband. It makes you want to do the exact same just for him! :)